Friday, June 12, 2009

Flashbulb Memory

There are many things that we experience throughout life. Some of them are positive experiences and some of them are negative experiences. As humans we tend to remember the negative rather than the positive. It seems to be burned in our brains when someone does something against us, but when someone does something positive towards us we may be thankful and think about it at times, but not nearly as much as when someone treats us in a negative manner or says something against us. For some reason negative memories always tend to be at the forefront of our thoughts.
One of the things that I have been interested in for a long time is something called "Flashbulb Memories." These are memories we have when something traumatic happens in our life and again it is probably 99% of the time that it is something negative that happens that we will never, ever forget. Our minds have taken a photograph of the experience and it is burned into our minds and we will remember exactly where we were and what we were doing when the incident took place.
An example of this would be (if you are old like me) when John F. Kennedy was assassinated.
I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I got the news that he had been shot and later died.
I also remember when the Columbia Space Shuttle exploded and most recently when the tragedy of 9/11 occurred.
I would like to get your stories regarding these three experiences and if you will visit my link I would like to have you write your stories and we will share them with others.

Thanx and hope to see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment